The park is named after a large, arrowhead shaped granite quarry that is one of three historic quarries now lakes in the park. The area is a bird sanctuary—a haven for bird watching. Stones from these quarries were used to build several buildings in downtown Sioux Falls, including the Old Courthouse Museum. The City's Parks Department has planted native prairie grass and developed a network of hiking trails on the land, which was donated by Dale and Dorothy Weir. Be sure to see the restored 1888 barn, which some claim was designed by famous architect Wallace Dow.